background

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Bubble blowing in the tub

Okay, Georgia and I are just not ready to give up the pool yet.  I've often thought of swimming ever since the last day passed a week ago.  I guess Georgia has too.  When we were at Target last Monday I told her that she could get one thing from the dollar isle if she sat politely in the cart while I shopped.  When her time came she hunted and hunted looking for the perfect item.  I thought for sure she would end up with another fairy wand, they seemed to have a lot on the shelf.  When she pulled out the above pair of goggles I was pleasantly surprised.  "But Georgia," I said, "remember the pool is closed now until next summer".  She barely blinked when she replied "Not the swimming pool, mom!!  I can wear these in the bathtub".  And that is exactly what she did!  :)

I read about some silly holidays to celebrate with your preschooler.  Besides April fools there is:

National Tell a Joke Day (August 16), Talk Like a Pirate Day (September 19), Bathtub Party Day (December 5), National Chocolate Covered Anything Day (December 16), Fruitcake Toss Day (January 3), Backward Day (January 31), National Goof-Off Day (March 22), and Dance Like a Chicken Day (May 14).
 
Talk like a pirate day is very soon and would fit perfectly with Gigi's current fascination with Peter Pan.  We picked up an abbrieviated (down to 127 pages), non-Disney version of Peter Pan on the dollar isle when we purchased the goggles.  I couldn't resist buying it too, although I had told Georia only one item.  We are on the second reading of the book and she can't get enough of it.  It is not like the other books we have read, tidy and pleasant.  This more authentic version of the classic talks about the color of Hook's blood, about Peter's dislike and need for a mother and about crocodiles eating limbs, etc.  Not politically correct at all, but what an adventure tale indeed!!  I'm really enjoying reading with her now-a-days.  We have hashed through about 12 chapters in Little Women.  She finds this story interesting mostly when Laurie is mentioned.  I think overall she may need to wait a while to read Alcott.  We have also been reading Paddington Bear and Beatrix Potter stories.  I feel like a British mum when I read and I imagine myself sitting in a cozy Mary Poppinsish nursery spinning tales that will enchant my child for a lifetime.  I sure hope they do!!  Anyone blog readers out there have suggestions for other great books?  I'm on the lookout and love suggestions!

No comments: